I was visiting my mum and decided I needed to try a Newquay Breakfast. Its not exactly Brum, but a breakfast is still worth checking out. After walking up the high street, I found Andys Cafe.
It was not busy when I got in and I was greeted by a friendly lady who said to sit down and someone will be over. I sat at one of the many dirty tables waiting for someone to come over. After 15 minutes, the same lady did. She thought the pot of tea and cups on the table were mine – they were not, they were from the previous inhabitants.
The menu was standard Cafe fayre:
I ordered the ‘Special Breakfast’, which was £6.65, but only came with a single piece of toast, (which was slightly burnt). Included was 2 bacon, 2 fried eggs, (a bit oilly, but perfectly cooked), 1 pork sausage – mediocre, a hash brown, (soggy) and beans, (I asked for them to be served separately). I had a choice of Mushrooms, Tomatoes or an extra Hash Brown. I chose mushrooms – they were plentyful.
Finally, to add insult to injury, to a not very good breakfast, their sauces were the awful ones that come in sachets. Not Heinz or HP, but that horrible one that you would rather not use as its got an unpleasant taste.
- Although greasy, the eggs were perfectly cooked.
- The tables nearly all needed wiping down and clearing of clutter from previous guests.
- The hash brown was soggy, not crispy
- The mushrooms were plentiful but not very tasty
- There was only a single piece of toast, (it needed 2 for the ratio to be right) – and it was burnt on the bottom.
- They use crappy sauces. No HP or Heinz to be seen.
Would I go back – probably not. Would I recommend – No.